The following categories of downloads are available:
Documents are general to mobile satellite Internet, specific to either StarBand or HughesNet, or about networking:
The following utilities are some of those available to get the pointing parameters (magnetic azimuth, elevation and skew) for setup and/or to sight the satellite. There are also some useful smartphone apps listed:
- GPS Status - This Android app displays all the GPS and sensor data you could want: position and signal strength of satellites, accuracy, speed, acceleration, altitude, bearing, pitch, roll and battery state. Tools provided: compass with magnetic and true north, leveling tool, waypoints: mark or share your location and navigate back later. It provides the longitude and latitude in the format needed by HughesNet Ka-band modems.
- Satellite Locator by Norsat - This free iPhone utility will locate geostationary satellites on your mobile phone. Just open the Satellite Finder app and point your screen at the sky to view a spatially accurate arc of satellites overlaid on your viewer. There is also a free version for Android. Just search the Google store for "Satellite Locator" .
- Dishpointer.com - Use your mobile device to browse to this site. Enter your location and it will give you pointing parameters and show you the direction to point. The web site is free, but the versions of Dispointer available for the iPhone and Android are $19.99 each.
- SatFinder - Android application to get pointing parameters and sight the satellite.
- Campendium - Created by campers for campers, Campendium has tens of thousands of places to camp, from swanky RV parks to free remote destinations, vetted by our team of full-time travelers and reviewed by our 200,000 plus members. Campendium is free to use and includes the following:
- National Parks, National Forests, BLM, State Parks, County & City Park Campgrounds
- RV Parks
- Free Dispersed Camping
- Campground photos & reviews
- Cell service reports
- Actively maintained database
- US, Canada & Mexico
Just search in the Google or Apple Store to find more such utilities.
The following miscellaneous downloads are available:
- Satellite Maps - Satellite coverage footprints are available for most of the satellites used by StarBand and HughesNet.
- Establish Line of Sight & the Importance of a Plumb Mast - This illustration clearly shows how important it is to start your satellite setup with a mast that is plumb.