Internet Dropping out

Bullshark

Internet Dropping out

Post#1 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:04 am

Gen 4 unit, 2 daisy chained routers, 1 switch, 1 wireless extender.

Recently we have been having some networking issues. First problem is I cannot send or receive email with my outlook account. I have it set up through email clients on 2 pc's. I have to swap to another network to email.

Second, is at times the internet connection is lost - my computer or phone will say host not found or DNS error. I can usually turn the wifi off, then back on and it clears up.

We have a router upstairs that has a 4 port switch connected to it. We then have a router downstairs hooked to the 4 port switch along with a hardwired PC. We also have a wifi extender downstairs.

Routers are daisy chained correctly with the downstairs unit having dns turned off. ip address 192.168.1.1 -100, lower router given a static address of 192.168.1.88

Anyone have any ideas?

bjnolley
Site Admin

Re: Internet Dropping out

Post#2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:34 pm

When did your problems begin? Were you able to send/receive email via Outlook before?

What network do you switch to, for email? ... i.e., what is the Internet connection?

Do the problems occur if you directly connect to the Gen 4 modem?
Take care,
Barb Nolley
HughesNet mobile dealer and installer
http://www.MobileInternetSatellite.com

Bullshark

Post#3 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:09 pm

The more I think about it, the problems began around the time we put the wireless extender in about 4 months ago. I have tried different configurations, changing my email settings, and resetting everything multiple times to no avail.

The network I swap to for emailing is a ku band hughesnet unit, also at home on cable no problems. I have not tried a direct connection to the router.

Since I posted this over a week ago, I changed the dns server of the router to 9999 and so far have had no issues. It was previously set to use isp. I don't understand it, but will take the result.

bjnolley
Site Admin

Post#4 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:01 pm

When HughesNet was our primary Internet connection (fulltime RVers then), I stopped using their DNS servers because of issues that occurred from time to time. I instead configured my router to use OpenDNS (I think that was it, but I lost the old networking posts, so I'm not certain about that).

That was much more reliable.

I'm not sure what setting DNS server to 9999 would do .... probably use some default instead of the DNS server from the connected Internet connection.
Take care,
Barb Nolley

Bullshark

Post#5 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:46 pm

9999 is the latest and greatest dns server. quad 9 by IBM. It just happened to be in the news when I was playing with this :D .
If changing the dns worked for you, that gives me some confidence that maybe we got it. Thank you for the help!

bjnolley
Site Admin

Post#6 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:19 pm

How interesting about 9999 ... I hadn't heard about that.

And, I agree ... do post again after another week or two, especially if it continue to work properly.
Take care,
Barb Nolley

Return to “Networking Discussions”