The first Jupiter 2 Gen 5 mobile system is about to go solar!

bjnolley
Site Admin

The first Jupiter 2 Gen 5 mobile system is about to go solar!

Post#1 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:13 am

Note:
The RVer who put this together and contributed this information about his installation is willing to answer questions from other RVers out there who want to do something similar. To contact him, please just post in this forum and he will see it.

Solar1.jpg
Solar1.jpg (199.9 KiB) Viewed 2135 times

Figure 1. Standing in the middle of the roof looking rearward. Cables are routed primarily under the panels.

Components
Here is a list of the components he used:
Components
Here are the details about the components:
    • 100w HQST polycrystalline panels x10 (1000W total)
    • Panels wired 2s5p (strings of two panels in series, with 5 strings wired in parallel - this is done for partial shade tolerance)
    • 6 position combiner/breaker box for PV cables
    • Midnite Solar Classic 150 MPPT charge controller (can do 96A output to a 12v battery bank, I have room to grow)
    • Baby box with 60A input breaker between combiner box and controller and 100A output breaker between controller and battery
    • #4 wire connecting combiner box, controller, baby box, and batteries
    • 4x 6v deep cycle house batteries
    • 2x 12v truck batteries
    • 2000w pure sine Magnum inverter/charger
    • Panels attached to roof using a method of my invention (I believe), which is using 2x 36 inch lengths of 1x1 square aluminum tubing under the long side of each panel, adhered to both panel frame and fiberglass RV roof with 1 inch wide strips of 3M VHB tape style 5952. Normally only 18 square inches of this tape is needed for a 100W panel, but I'm using 72 inches. Totally overbuilt.
    • Controller is mounted horizontally due to space constraints. This is not recommended due to cooling concerns. However, I mounted it directly to sheet metal which is welded to the vehicle frame, so that should act as an adequate heat sink. If it does not, I will add thermal paste compound in between the controller and sheet metal for thermal coupling and heat transfer.
    • Total cost for Panels, wiring, boxes, breakers, controller, AL tubing, VHB tape, odds and ends was roughly $2600 (shipped, all applicable taxes). I already had the batteries and inverter. This is a shockingly low price for this kind of install (esp. with a top shelf charge controller like the Midnite).

Additional Photos
And, here are some additional photos of the installation:
Solar2.jpg
Solar2.jpg (236.44 KiB) Viewed 2135 times

Figure 2. Standing at the rear looking forward. Cables visible routed under and behind the 3rd air conditioner.
Dirty rag on top. More wire ties needed.

Solar3.jpg
Solar3.jpg (241.1 KiB) Viewed 2135 times

Figure 3. From left to right, charge controller, baby box, combiner box. This is the rearmost storage bay on the curb side of the RV adjacent to the engine.

Solar4.jpg
Solar4.jpg (220.83 KiB) Viewed 2135 times

Figure 4 Four house batteries on the top slide-out tray; two chassis batteries on the bottom tray. This battery bay is located adjacent to and just forward of the bay with the controller, etc.

And, if you want a PDF of this post with photos, just download it here:
http://www.mobileinternetsatellite.com/Downloads-Documents/HughesNet/Jupiter%20Gen%205%20on%20Solar.pdf
Take care,
Barb Nolley
HughesNet mobile dealer and installer
http://www.MobileInternetSatellite.com

Apeironian

Re: The first Jupiter 2 Gen 5 mobile system is about to go solar!

Post#2 » Sat May 13, 2017 5:25 am

Hey guys happy to answer any questions about this. I've since added two additional house batteries to this setup (total of six), and have some parts to do active cooling of the charge controller (not yet installed).

MC

bjnolley
Site Admin

Re: The first Jupiter 2 Gen 5 mobile system is about to go solar!

Post#3 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks again! :-)

Incidentally, I received the following, after he had reviewed the full manual for the HT2000W modem:
Looks like the power supply will draw around 100W. That's about as much as all of my other equipment combined, including my laptop
Take care,
Barb Nolley

bjnolley
Site Admin

Jupiter 2 Gen 5 on Solar! Watch out for power source

Post#4 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:58 pm

It has been brought to my attention that a solar converter can cause the modem's power brick to not function, if the power source is not a pure sine wave generator.

The symptom is that the little green light on the power brick doesn't light up and the modem doesn't get power.

Many lower-cost solar converters don't generate a pure sine wave, so check the specs on any you buy. If it seems like too good of a deal ... there may be a reason. ;)
Take care,
Barb Nolley

Return to “HughesNet Ka-band Satellite General Topics”